It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to alpinek9

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Selecting PP dog/pup (bloodlines)
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:23 pm 

Just wondering since we are discussing traits. What bloodlines would you guys pick for strictly personal protection?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Selecting PP dog/pup (bloodlines)
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:22 pm 

Whatever dog can do the work regardless of bloodlines.

Report this post

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:27 pm 

I really like the aggression and protective nature of my bitch 3-3 Cordon through Tom z PS. It also seems to be a trait she passes onto her pups. I also have a litter mate to this dog http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=643430 that is solid and has no problem lighting up on command or biting a passive subject. He's not the easiest dog to work, but his hardness and fight drive make up for it.

Both are good PP bloodlines, but I wouldn't say they are only capable of this type of work.

Report this post

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:15 pm 

Good question SG, I don't know anyone that could select a bloodline that would be very accurate at selecting a particular line that would produce a high percentage of good personal protection dogs. I think it is more to do with successfull matings that produced a high percentage of prospects. My reasoning (right or wrong) is one out of thousands of dogs raised are ever used for more than just generic protection, that really are in high number. Most people call a personal protection a dog that when somebody attacks them will intercede or will bite when somebody kicks the front door down. to me that is just common protecting instinct that every GSD should possess. I look more at matings than lines. What dogs in their genetic make up will have a high probability of blending with the genetic make up of the dog to be mated with. Sound nerves and intelligence would be the first things I would look for.
The baddest dog on four legs ain't worth a quarter if he don't know where the fights at.
Hank

Report this post

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:00 am 

Wow! I didn't know the question was so complicated. LOL

Hank, I see what you mean but I was just hoping to get a general idea of what bloodlines or crosses were more likely to produce traits for PP. Perhaps you have seen a particular mating that produced well for these traits.

I know it is hit or miss sometimes and that the majority of dogs today are produced primarily for other reasons.

Report this post

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:14 am 

In that case, One of the very best pp dog trainers anywhere has a lot of his dogs bred out of Mambo, He will not except a dog without a copy of breeding, and health records
My personal favorite stud would be Navar, He has the perfect temperment in my opinion for pp, he can pull kids in a sleigh, allow kids to crawl all over him and remain stable, yet fire up in a heart beat when needed. He is one I let get away, that I should not have. But went to good dog family
Hank

Report this post

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:00 pm 

Hmmm interesting.

I had a bitch once that was a GD of Tom z Ps. I liked her for protection. I had a Brit z Elisu son that I think would have been really nice protection wise as well. I also like to see Golf Ritterberg back in the ped as well as B litter Cega. Seems like dogs with both those in the ped work out well although there are of course a lot more genetics involved. I forget all the names on the peds and only certain ones stick in my mind.

Report this post

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:04 pm 

thanks Hank, Navar is truely one of the best pp stud dog I could ever dreamed of and I am very fortunate to have him, he protects us and the house, he is good to my kids and he produces some great offspring...of course it all depends on which female he is bred to and then again I would say 50% is genetic and 50% is the upbringing and raising of a pup, so there we have a big spread.Regarding bloodlines I did the experience that the cross with Navar and a female out of Xac z Pohranicni straze and Norbo Ben Ju had the higest rate to produce pp dogs, some are prooving themselve to be very hard, dominat and protective at 5 months old with not much training, it's all in the gene's.

www.wendelinfarm.com
breeder of top working line GSD

Report this post

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:11 pm 

hank, that was a good answer on mambo. the most civil dogs i have seen (that were not complete monsters and crazy) is a cross i did a couple years ago on a norbo grandson and perla a mambo daughter. i swear they would train you. easiest dogs iever worked for dual purpose and they are all 3 workink as dual purpose right now. never made that cross again as i am like all breeders ,always looking for beter and better dogs. wade

Report this post

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Probably 4th. Started by Utz v House Schutting. Or 5th. If you like challenge and get typical 4th and 5th blood line dog on the mother and father's side.
Look at Lord vom Gleisdreieck ( 5th line )
The 4th and some 5th line combined should produce the old style dogs. But always use that type of phenotype.
Here is a public secret. Always try to breed ( male and female) within the blood line or with next blood line over. For breeding partners select the type you are striving for. If you do it for a while then outcross and then come back to that original line.
Always try to breed within the line.

Hans
http://www.alpinek9.com

"All knowledge, the totality of all questions and all answers is contained in the dog." - Franz Kafka

Report this post